[development] Tuning your server for optimal Drupal performance

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun Jan 8 16:00:35 UTC 2006

Moshe Weitzman wrote:

> Kieran Lal wrote:
>
>> http://drupal.org/node/2601
>>
>> I have made some significant updates to this page.  Please review and
>> provide comments.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kieran
>

> path.module is costly? pathauto can be a killer on 4.6, but not path
> IMO. we still do all the lookups for aliases if path is disabled.
>
> "Move .htaccess configuration to httpd.conf for security and
> performance reasons" I would omit security here.
>
> There might be some OS level tuning as well.

There's probably plenty. But should that be in the Drupal handbook?

> There are subpages about PHP caches and persistent connections that
> should be linked from this page

Right.

"Analyse the memory usage
<http://lists.drupal.org/archives/development/2005-08/msg00314.html> of
modules and add more RAM to your server."

You probably want to say that you should increase the amount of memory
that php may use. This is however only true if you run of memory
somewhere. I don't think it helps performance otherwise.

"Don't run PHP as CGI if you can avoid it" is also worth putting there...

"Use the devel module
<http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/devel/> to
measure the performance of individual modules" could use some
explanation. Maybe rather write "performance impact" or "performance of
individual pages.

Cheers,
    Gerhard