[development] Static Page Caching

Mike Gifford mike at openconcept.ca
Tue Jan 10 15:21:45 UTC 2006

On 9-Jan-06, at 4:22 PM, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/sandbox/jeremy/
> filecache/?hideattic=0
> would be great if you reimplemented this in modern drupal and
> submitted for core review.

Like many enhancements to Drupal, having them would be great.
However, I would really like to know if this is seen as a general
need in this community or not.

I know it could go a long ways to reducing server loads, but would
people use it?  More importantly, would there be enough people
interested in this to develop a reverse bounty to see that it gets
implemented properly?

I'm not sure at this point that I've got the client base to fund all
of this development internally.  We're building some requirements
now, so will have a better sense of it fairly soon.

Pages like this are very useful:
	http://drupal.org/node/2601

But it still isn't going to give you the snappy response that you'd
get from a drupal page that has been cached as a static html page.  A
program like jpcache (http://www.jpcache.com/), would be a bit slower
than a static page because apache would have to load php, and then
load the cached file (from a file or db), however it would still use
a fraction of the resources that a drupal site would.

The only reference to jpcache in drupal.org is:
	http://drupal.org/node/12169

There are a lot of issues to be considered with static page caching
and I'm not sure how (or if) it is possible to accommodate multi-site
installs.  Having a few folks contributing ideas, concerns,
limitations would be great.

Mike

--
Mike Gifford, OpenConcept Consulting