[development] let's cleanup /misc

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Jan 11 00:53:38 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 07:20 am, Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> This is the difference between the OSX (.app directory) and Unix way
> of doing things.
>
> The OSX way is far far simpler, and much much cleaner.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it is analogous.  Group By Resource Type
vs Group By Resource Application.  Both directions have a laundry list of
advantages and disadvantages.

The killer, though, is that managing a Group By Resource Type setup (Unix
style) is a usability nightmare, UNLESS (a) You are an uber-expert who likes
doing things the hard way or (b) You have a complete front-end to manage
everything for you (package manager, vis. RPM, apt-get, and so forth).
Drupal doesn't have that at the moment.

Until/unless Drupal has a fully-managed module package manager (installer),
Group By Resource Type is only going to make managing a Drupal install
insanely harder.  The security issues should be solved some other, less
painful way.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012