[development] Forms API Documentation . . .

Jason Flatt drupal at oadae.net
Sun Jan 15 17:34:22 UTC 2006

Last Monday I started working on an internal site that will consist primarily
of web forms.  There is a great potential of literally a hundred or more
forms (some of them are quite complex), but I am really just setting my sites
on a core of 10-20 forms for now.  For this project, I chose to just start
with the 4.7 beta and the new Forms API, as I thought it would be very
counter-productive to learn the 4.6 API and then upgrade in a month or two to
the 4.7 API.

I am not new to using and administering Drupal, but I am new to coding to it
and am trying to go through the documentation for the Forms API, but I feel
like either there is not enough, or I am not finding it.  What I have found
and gone through so far is
 1) Forms API Outline [0], which doesn't have any real meat, AFAICT.
 2) Forms API Quickstart Guide [1], which is a great starter guide, thanks
webchick.  (BTW, where is this document: "For more detailed information, also
see the developer documentation [link coming soon]"?  It may be the next
document I'm looking for.)
 3) Most of what is in Upgrading to forms API [2], except the actual upgrading
parts, since I am starting from scratch in 4.7.
 4) And then there is Form generation [3] and Forms API Reference [4], which
are really only useful if I already have a clue and I'm looking for the
details about a specific function or attribute.

So, the question is, is there anymore that I have not located that will help
me move to the next level?

Also, I am not yet at the point where I need it, but I will be soon looking
for database integration, both reading and writing, possibly with a different
database that the main site will be using.  Is that something that is part of
the Forms API, or is it a separate API?

Thanks.

[0] http://drupal.org/node/37775
[1]