[development] [lazyweb] Drupal Configurator

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 14:37:01 UTC 2006

On 1/15/06, Arnab Nandi <arnabdotorg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd post a feature request if this was a drupal feature. What I want
> is an application _separate_ from drupal, that generates configs
> offline.

You included a variety of problems that would be solved by your new
application/feature.  I don't see a really strong use case for the
"offline edits" part of it, but improving admin UI would certainly
help everyone.

> > Why not just improve the UI to reduce page views/iterations and/or use
> > AJAX techniques to reduce the amount sent back/forth to do this work?
>
> Well, this is a good method and should be introduced(so should "power
> edit forms"); but I'd prefer to have a native(read: disconnected) app
> that can create a pre-validated, complete site structure; which can
> then set up the website with one button.

So what you really want is the disconnected part.  The difficulty of
editing the admin pages is not as high of a priority as is the offline
part.

> To give you an analogy: Flickr has such great AJAX, but it still has
> Uploadr and Organizr.

Just because they did, doesn't make it right for others.

Greg