[development] Evil hack: admin/modules without memory restrictions

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sat Jan 21 06:18:46 UTC 2006

Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2006, at 7:26 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
>> Attached is a patch that will make Drupal
>>
>> 1) read the module files
>> 2) looking for help, init, exit hooks
>> 3) write these hooks to a file
>> 4) include that file
>> 5) delete the file
>
> Or you could skip all that and have a simple text file in the module
> directory that is parseable.

Right. But as I said this is an evil hack.

> I don't believe there's a single good reason to have all the modules
> loaded just to get their descriptions.

I fully agree. The problem with that approach seems to be that once you
say something like this, people also want a dependency system and fully
automatic database installs. While I agree that these things would be
nice to have, it would make more sense to start simple...

Cheers,
    Gerhard