[development] Evil hack: admin/modules without memory restrictions

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Sun Jan 22 16:28:33 UTC 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 10:20 AM, Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> We want to base it on the debian control file format
>
> variable: value
>
> I don't for instance see use using sections, nor do I think
> we should need to have comments, as users should
> NEVER edit this file. ever ever ever.
>
> It's meta-information, not configuration settings.

But why would you start from scratch when a single function can do
all the heavy lifting for you?  The preference for a single
character? ( : versus = ).  It seems that development time could be
put to better use than writing another file parsing routine.

What are users?  Aren't module developers users too?  Why not give
them a documented function to work against?

Keep in mind that each file included adds cost.  Usually 3-5msec,
sometimes 10 or more per file.  This is OS and configuration-
dependent.  If we're just talking about the modules page then that's
fine, but files aren't free.

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com

scalable web hosting and open source strategies