[development] Evil hack: admin/modules without memory restrictions

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Sun Jan 22 17:06:47 UTC 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 10:38 AM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

>> If we mandate that each module should have its own directory
>
> Yes, we do. So far, it seems only Steven does not agree with us in
> this.

Has anybody talked about using "functional" folders?

All the required/core modules could live in "core" (block, filter,
user, system; all the stuff drupal ships with)

All the modules you download separately have their own folders

Contrib/sub-modules live in directories *inside* of their parent
module's folders (cck, ecommerce, etc.)

I have had the hardest time supporting the e-commerce module, because
you inevitably forget to enable cart, shipping, etc.  Matt tells me
that these used to be grouped on the modules page, and it wasn't
always so confusing.  CCK is doing similar sub-moduling, where you
must scan up and down the modules page to find all the requisite
field types.

It would be useful to have these all appear on the modules page as
grouped by the folders they appear in.  As I'm thinking about this,
it's getting down to two questions:

  1) putting groups of modules into collective folders, and
presenting them as grouped in such a manner
  2) with or without these sub-folders, whether each module itself
gets a folder.  I guess my feelings on this aren't strong one way or
the other.

Allie Micka
pajunas interactive, inc.
http://www.pajunas.com

scalable web hosting and open source strategies