[development] Evil hack: admin/modules without memory restrictions

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Jan 22 19:59:31 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 January 2006 11:28, Khalid B wrote:

> > Has anybody talked about using "functional" folders?
>
> If you mean on the admin/modules and admin/settings pages, then yes,
> this is something I thought of. If we have "system" or "drupal", then
> groups that are categoriezed (much like RPMs on Red Hat for example:
> Internet, Games, Development, Office, ...etc.)
>
> So, if we have drupal, community features, ecommerce, admin tools,
> misc,  ...etc.
>
> Again, this can be a settings in the modulename.ini file
>
>     category = 'Site tools'
>
> The trick is what hierarchy we put in place, and agreeing on such a
> basic hierarchy.
>
> If you mean we group the directories to be like that, then I disagree.
> Modules already have a place under sites/default/modules,
> sites/sitehostname/modules or (if we implement it) sites/all/modules,
> each in its own directory. Things that depend on other modules (e.g.
> ecommerce contrib) can be under their main module.

Just an FYI, the sites/all suggestion from an earlier thread is already slated
for inclusion early in 4.8.

http://drupal.org/node/44920

That is step one of fully separating core and admin-added plugins.

Step 2 would be the drupal/ or core/ or whatever directory that some have
discussed.  Since that requires a lot of moving stuff around in CVS, I think
that really has to be done by Dries.  That would also be the proper time to
move all core modules into their own directories, which I agree is what we
should be doing.  That would then allow us to do a lot of other breakup and
refactoring that needs to be done, for various reasons.

I'm liking this ini file idea to replace/supplement hook_help().  You only
need a little bit of metadata for admin/modules, not any of the functionality
of the modules in question.  Name, dependency information, description, etc.
can all be put in there and parsed in a split second, even if they're then
just put straight into the system table and pulled from there thereafter.

Currently, as far as I am aware the system will parse any module file anywhere
in the modules/ directory (and its kin).  The file structure of the directory
should reflect the packaging, not the dependencies.  If a given tarball comes
with modules modA, modB, and modC (like ecommerce), they should all be in the
modules/mod/ directory.  If another module, modD, is an extension to modB, it
should say so in its metadata, not its file location.  Consider that mod/ may
be in sites/all, but you only want modD available on the sites/myexample.com/
site.  You can't do that if it's filesystem dependent.

So +1 to an ini file.  +1 to every module having its own directory.  Assume
sites/all/ will happen, since Dries seems to like it as well. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson