[development] Categorizing modules-demonstrating the value ofthe Drupal platform

Nedjo Rogers nedjo at islandnet.com
Tue Jan 24 05:00:19 UTC 2006

> Turn on free tagging and let everyone suggest categories as desired.

Thanks Moshe, it's a good suggestion.  The way we've coded this in
project.module, though, is that the projects vocabulary is used in a special
way: the top level terms are project types (Modules, Themes, etc.).  This is
what allows us to have a local task (tab) for each project type.  Second+
level terms are the options for that project type (e.g., Modules might have
mail, XML, etc.).

Am I right in thinking that freetagging always creates top-level terms?  If
so, that won't work here because of the specialized use of top-level terms.

One suggestion has been that we could have this specialized (and manually
maintained) vocabulary, plus another freetagging vocabulary.  This permits a
vocabulary with a select, limited number of terms, plus a larger
community-built one.

If we want to combine them, I suppose we could either:

* use a different vocabulary for each project type (this would require a
fair bit of recoding)
* use a modified autocomplete, sending a designated parent term, so that
projects with 'Modules' as a first-level term would create second-level
child terms of 'Modules'.

Alternately, we can simply create a second, freetagging vocabulary, to be
used in the interim to gather information that will be used to manually
create categories.

Or we could return the designated project vocabulary to having just
first-level terms, and use other vocabularies for categorization.

Thoughts on what would work best?