[development] Categorizing modules-demonstrating the value ofthe Drupal platform

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Jan 24 07:31:52 UTC 2006

On 23-Jan-06, at 9:00 PM, Nedjo Rogers wrote:

>> Turn on free tagging and let everyone suggest categories as desired.
>
> Thanks Moshe, it's a good suggestion.  The way we've coded this in
> project.module, though, is that the projects vocabulary is used in
> a special way: the top level terms are project types (Modules,
> Themes, etc.).  This is what allows us to have a local task (tab)
> for each project type.  Second+ level terms are the options for
> that project type (e.g., Modules might have mail, XML, etc.).
>
> Am I right in thinking that freetagging always creates top-level
> terms?  If so, that won't work here because of the specialized use
> of top-level terms.
>
> One suggestion has been that we could have this specialized (and
> manually maintained) vocabulary, plus another freetagging
> vocabulary.  This permits a vocabulary with a select, limited
> number of terms, plus a larger community-built one.

Yes, it should use both. See the 4.6-era version of weblinks. It uses
one vocab for a navigational structure, and can use one or more
additional vocabularies for keyword-style tagging. Works really well.

We should probably look at some of the old archives for some first
cuts at categorization...

This really should have been built with two vocabularies -- one for
top level, one for categorization. Yeah, probably too late now. Means
you have to set vocab to multi-hierachy too -- if you want to use XML
for both Modules and Themes, has to appear under both hierarchies....

Here are some ideas that should nicely mess with peoples' perceptions:

Content Types
* Event
* Reviews
* Image
* Audio
APIs
* Event
* Form
* Mailhandler
Image
* Image
* Img_assist
User
* user_import
* troll
Mail
* Mailhandler
Presentation
* Sections
* Dashboard
* Theme_editor
Date
* Event
* EventFinder
Community
* Troll
* Privatemsg
* Buddylist

Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595
SKYPE borismann
http://www.bryght.com