[development] Rating module quality

Arnab Nandi arnabdotorg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:44:01 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Jeff Eaton <jeff at viapositiva.net> wrote:
> Not to trumpet my own module, but has anyone considered VotingAPI as a
> tool for rating module quality? It'd be pretty simple to whip up a
> module with several criteria (Stability, Features, Flexibility... Each
> rated on a 1-5 scale, for example) and produce an average per-module and
> per-criteria rating.

This usually turns into a popularity contest, which eventually
reflects the same information as #downloads. imho, absolute numbers
have little meaning: importance of a module is a factor of it's

1) usefulness
2) code quality (lack of bugs, buggy modules = bad reputation for drupal)
3) maintenance quality (support in future drupal versions?)

while (1) can be gauged from #downloads / popularity, the latter 2 can
(possibly) be estimated from project.module stats.

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a small paragraph giving devel
statistics for each module, like

#open confirmed bugs
#critical bugs in the past month (open / solved)
#feature requests handled
#commits in the last 4 months

-Arnab