Project module updating (was Re: [bcc][faked-from] [development] renaming modules)

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Thu Jan 26 20:09:39 UTC 2006

Kieran:

On 26-Jan-06, at 11:09 AM, Kieran Lal wrote:

>> A simpler (?) solution would be to have a forum for each module. I
>> always
>> forget that the link to "Support Forum" is not module specific. I
>> can't
>> count the times I've click that link only to be disappointed by
>> the lack of
>> specificity.
>
> Code is here: http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/
> modules/project/
>
> File a patch here: http://drupal.org/node/add/project_issue/Project
>
> The project module has gotten a bad rep due to neglect.  CSL,
> Nedjo, and Dries have put a lot of work into improving it.  It's
> time to stop calling for complete re-writes of the Project module
> and for the community to start feeling comfortable submitting
> patches to the most important module in Drupal.

We all agree that project module is a core piece of functionality for
our community.

I have taken several runs at using it as a user, since the 4.4 days.
Whether through neglect or it being fundamentally bad (chicken and
egg...if it's bad, it doesn't get fixed), base functionality hasn't
worked out of the box outside of Drupal.org. People that have been
around that long have all felt the pain, and are skeptical about the
current codebase. So...just wanted to clear the air about that.

The very fact that project runs only with HEAD is part of this issue.
Again, AFAIK, current 4.6 download is broken by default. We should
remove old releases unless they are going to be fixed...

I *don't* think it's time to stop calling for complete re-writes of
Project...the in between reality is that we need to work with what we
have now and for the foreseeable future until we have the time/money/
resources to do a planned rewrite that forms a good basis for further
improvements/extensions...kind of like all of Drupal.

So for now...put down your project.module pitchforks, and file/review
patches.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595