[development] Rating module quality

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Jan 26 21:18:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, January 26, 2006 2:34 pm, Jeff Eaton said:
>>    1. we'll have to upgrade drupal.org to CVS HEAD (some of us are
>> actively working on this)
>>    2. we'll roll out an automatic rating system based on the
>> installation base of themes and modules
>>
>> Whose role is it to work on a rating module?  Whoever feels it is
>> both interesting and important enough. :)
>>
>> --
>> Dries Buytaert  ::  http://www.buytaert.net/
>

> I'm working on two other projects at the moment (one of them also
> ratings-based) but I'd love to dive into this in the next couple of
> weeks. As a disclaimer, I would probably be basing it on VotingAPI's
> underlying engine. I hate reinventing the wheel, and I think the current
> crop of 'ratings solutions' for Drupal would make an example
> implementation on a flexible API beneficial.
>
> If there's anyone out there who'd be willing to give VotingAPI a code
> review, to spot potential problems or issues if it were used on a
> high-volume site like Drupal.org, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> --Jeff

I'm planning to use VotingAPI for a product review site very soon.  What
we're going to need is to have a separate comment for *each* review axis,
so I figure that's a module that implements VotingAPI (unless said module
already exists?).  I'll keep my eyes open on VotingAPI's internals and
submit patches as I find cause to.  If any of that ends up helping the
Project module, so much the better.

Off the bat, my first question is whether you're caching totals or not.
When 1000 nodes have 1000 reviews each, calculating all totals, averages,
etc. on the fly is going to get rather slow.

--Larry Garfield