[development] Rating module quality

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Thu Jan 26 21:22:40 UTC 2006

> Off the bat, my first question is whether you're caching
> totals or not.
> When 1000 nodes have 1000 reviews each, calculating all
> totals, averages, etc. on the fly is going to get rather slow.
>
> --Larry Garfield

That's one of the primary goals of the system -- when external modules
plug in their own calculations (median score, number of votes cast for a
criteria, karma-weighted vote value, whatever) the aggregate data is
stored as a 'voting result' record. Those result records are what get
queried when nodes are viewed, etc.

There's a recalculation hit whenever someone *casts* a vote, but never
when someone *views* voting results.

--Jeff