[development] Rating module quality

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 08:30:40 UTC 2006

> If there's anyone out there who'd be willing to give VotingAPI a code
> review, to spot potential problems or issues if it were used on a
> high-volume site like Drupal.org, I'd really appreciate it.

I had a quick look at the VotingAPI code.  It is well-documented and
looks secure, but doesn't adhere to Drupal's coding conventions
making it slightly annoying to audit the code.  My problem with the
VotingAPI module is this: it addresses an _extremely_ _trivial_
problem.  It saves us 10 lines of code and 20 minutes of
implementation work at the cost of an extra layer of code
(performance cost), an additional module to monitor/track/audit
before upgrades (extra dependencies, time overhead) and install
(usability).  Maybe the added value becomes clear after I spent some
more time looking at it but right now, I prefer to go with a single,
dedicated module.