[development] Re: freetagging: let's users select a parent category

Fabio Varesano fabio.varesano at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 21:13:15 UTC 2006

Bèr is talking about a more complex tagging system...

I just want give the user the possibility to select a
parent term while creating his free tag.

I make an example:
Imagine my website has a vocabulary called "World Cities"
which is a container of nodes of type "city". The "World Cities"
vocabulary has a lists of term in it were continent-country has
a parent-child relationship:

Europe
  Italy
  France
  Germany
Africa
  Algeria
  Angola
  Benin
  Botswana

Imagine that I want to create a "Madrid" city
so I would like to tag this as "Spain".

If I do this in the current implementation the term
Spain will simply became a term at the same level of
continents... we will have:

Europe
  Italy
  France
  Germany
Africa
  Algeria
  Angola
  Benin
  Botswana
Spain

So... Would it be useful to permits the user to
select were the free tag category he is creating
will be created into?
I mean a select which will ask which of available
term in the vocabulary to be parent of:
"Select parent category:" or "Put this tag into:".

What do you think about?