[development] Time for a new chapter of an endless debate

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon Jul 3 09:19:24 UTC 2006

Op maandag 3 juli 2006 05:42, schreef Nick Lewis:
> I actually wouldn't mind the work on the sites I'm responsible for if it
> meant putting an end to that sick little game I play everyday where I
> ask, "do I get to you through $foo->bar, $foo['bar'], or are you a very
> special $foo[0]->bar? and are you the same if I'm dealing with you in
> hook.module, a template.php, or a node.tpl.php?" ['the answer is often
> no'].  The inconsistency has a tendency to be very annoying, imho. Not
> to mention... the methods used in about 60% of the snippets in the
> handbook make the hair on the back of my neck stand up... forcing a
> rewrite of some of them might not be a totally bad thing

Very true. Yet "making it all arrays" is not the only way to solve that. It
is, however, by far the most labour intensive way.

Making them predictable one by one, is a better solution, I think. Often
simple patches like "make the input parameters of user_load consistent with
node_load" can help a lot more then some strange "(ab)use arrays for all
sorts of stuff" patch.

regards
'#Bèr' => 'Kessels'  (Am I really the only one who gets chicken-pocks
everytime he writes these awkward object-imitation '#keys' ?)