[development] Moderation bit behavior

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Wed Jul 5 14:41:52 UTC 2006

Earl Miles wrote:
> Jeff Eaton wrote:
>> Maintain a separate table.

> I'm against this. I'd much rather have a set of flags attached to the
> node object so that we can have exandability without sacrificing
> performance by adding even more joins. Even if we don't keep moderate as
> is, it would cost us little to leave the flag, even if we remove all
> reference to it in core, and leave it as the purview of other modules.
>
> This is especially true since we've removed the ability (at least, I
> believe we have) of modules to add fields to the node table by having
> removed the 'fields' op from nodeapi.

Right, this was removed.

There is no reason why a contrib module can't add flags of its own to
the node table. The only drawback is that the module author would need
to set/read the value through nodeapi.

Any such flags - be it the current moderate flag or any other one -
suffers from the fact that db_rewrite_sql could be used to impose
conditions on these flags, but there is no way to also select them.

Cheers,
	Gerhard