[development] Moderation bit behavior

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Jul 7 09:46:05 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 5 juli 2006 17:41, schreef Gerhard Killesreiter:
> > Yes, this position does require more joins. I understand there is a
> > penalty. I think that penalty is worth the simplicity and can be
> > overcome with better caching.
>
> I am not sure. Getting caching right is a difficult thing and getting
> queries to perform better is much easier.

Another one worth exploring would be to add views (not the module, but the
MySQL thingy) in database.mysql(.views).inc

That way a database layer could, under water, use views instead of
such "expensive" joins. result: We use our tools better, we gain (a lot of)
performance and most of all, we normalise our datastructure better.

I'm all for pragmatic approaches, like adding title fields because it speeds
things up, even if they bring us further away from having a Good Design.
But I am more for using the tools to their full power, they way "it is meant"
instead of abusing the tools.

Bèr