[development] Modules for Core (was: Moderation bit behavior)

Mark Fredrickson mfredrickson at ppmns.org
Fri Jul 7 14:14:01 UTC 2006

I'm forking the moderation bit discussion into a separate but related
discussion of what modules should be in 4.8.

Is there a pre-existing list of modules slated for inclusion (and
possibly exclusion in the case of current core modules) from the core
package? What conditions must be met for modules to be added or
removed from core?

If there is not an existing list, I might propose adding:

actions - a solid API module that can be basis of many other modules
workflow - a module that uses the actions system to really get things
done. This could be the replacement for the "status" field (along
with the node_access module of the user's choice)
nodequeue - replace the homepage with a nodequeue
views - i expect to hear a lot of +1s on this. Using this we could
sort a nodequeue by sticky order and then nodequeue order. This
answers the question below regarding "stickiness" of nodes in the
nodequeue.

As to dropping
tracker - views replaces this
legacy - I don't use this - does anyone who used 4.7 use it?
blogapi - I am under the impression that this breaks a lot. Is it
worth keeping in core?

I imagine people have their preferences as to modules. For my $.02 I
would prefer to see more API type modules (eg. voting API) than
functional modules (eg. buddylist - though I really like this module
I don't think it should be in core).

Let the flaming begin!
-Mark