[development] Re: Patches

Douglas Ebner dwebner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 20:54:47 UTC 2006

I am somewhat a CSS Zealot as well,  I understand the frustration with the
clears etc. However, What I have done is position my left hand menu as an
absolute. This has worked fine for my website and allows me to use clears
wherever I want without breaking any styles.  I use tables for tabular data
and thats it.

For example:

#outer {
 text-align:left;
 background: #c5d5a9;
 width:760px;
 margin:auto;
 border: 1px solid #c5d5a9;
 }

 #l-col {
 position: absolute;
 font-weight: bold;
 color: #333333;
 width: 155px;
 border-left: 4px solid white;
 background-color: #F8D583;
 border-bottom: solid 4px white;
 }

#content_container {
 margin-left: 155px;
 border-left: 4px solid white;
 background-color: #eaeff3;
 padding: 5px;
 min-height: 550px;
 }

The drawback is the container (Main body) of the page can be smaller then
the menu which I give a min-height for firefox; I have a style sheet which
loads if it is IE and it gets a height.... and another style sheet to take
away the height if it is IE7.

Anyways, it is just an idea!