[development] Re: Patches

Ivan Boothe, Genocide Intervention Network boothe at genocideintervention.net
Tue Jul 11 21:04:50 UTC 2006

This is a common problem, but it's definitely possible. In fact, it
was just written about recently:

http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=6BC9D

"In order to become a skilled CSS developer, you need to understand the
underlying concepts of CSS that make it work and not just how to
produce certain visual effects. The 'block formatting context' is one
of those concepts that drives how CSS affects your page without you
even knowing it. Most of the time, you don't need to worry about it;
it's just something that's going on behind the scenes that you don't
need to get involved with. Sometimes, however, the lack of a new
context can make elements interact in undesirable ways. The primary
reason for setting a new context is to keep cleared elements inside a
main content div from clearing floated sidebars. We'll use this problem
as a case study for how to establish new block formatting contexts and
to see what their effect is on the other elements around them."

The solution is different depending on what kind of (browser)
audience you have, but there are definitely alternatives to falling
back on a table.

--ivan