[development] install system

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Thu Jul 13 17:11:30 UTC 2006

On 13 Jul 2006, at 5:31 PM, Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> I just like the idea of user-1.object, node-2.object files more
> than the idea of having to edit sql, especially when it comes to
> creation of complex
> data types.
another thing i like about that .. heredoc syntax.

$node->body = <<<EOT
My entire contents of my node's body,
can very cleanly be put into this space here,
without having to mess around with 'escaping'

I believe this is simpler than trying to edit the default node content,
either within the sql statement, or within your usual strings.
EOT;

Althought I know that's kind of frowned upon here, so whatever.

So you could create you initial node by just having a file that says :

file: node-1.object
----
$node->type = 'story';
$node->title = "Welcome to your new blogging site";
$node->body = <<<EOT
Thank you for installing the Drupal Blogging install profile.

Your first step would be to create your initial account, and then to
post about whatever
EOT;

In the case of the default variables, this would be :

variables.object
---
$variables['site_name'] = $edit['site_name']; // if there was a field
for it.
$variables['some variable'] = blah;

Same could be said for taxonomy, node types etc.

This is one of the reasons I think the programmatically submitting
forms approach is far more powerful than
trying to duplicate all the checking that happens on forms, inside
node_save.

Oh. and this also gives us versioned content, and provides an
abstraction layer that we can maintain between version changes.

--
Adrian Rossouw
Drupal developer and Bryght Guy