[development] install system

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Jul 13 20:52:49 UTC 2006

Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> This tone is not insulting in Hungary :) People need to understand
> that views+cck+workflows+event+holymodule are very nice and powerful,
> but are not universal solutions.
1) What you said you wanted in the first message didn't match what you
said you wanted in the next message.
2) What you said you wanted in the first message sounded like a very
generic date/calendar browsing interface.
3) What you said in the followup message is a very specific date
browsing interface that has no flexibility and is, in fact, useful only
for a particular class of sites. For that class of sites, it's great.
For the rest of them, it's useless.
4) 'Overkill' is antagonistic, especially since I was responding to #2,
not #3.

Maybe Hungary is different than the rest of the world, but saying "I
want X" and when someone helpfully responds, you say "No, don't give me
your "multimodule, multipage overkill" solution, I want "something that
isn't, in fact, X"" is both a bash both to the person helping and the
modules involved.

Finally: "People need to understand that
views+cck+workflows+event+holymodule are very nice and powerful, but are
not universal solutions"

Thank you for correcting my understanding of my own module. Surely I had
no clue that views isn't for every site.

By the same token, people need to understand that 20 different versions
of relatively narrow application modules *also* aren't good solutions
either, and an archive module with no ability to exclude irrelevant
content from the archive one instance of the too narrow solution.