[development] translation for the installer?

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Jul 14 13:45:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

I looked through the installer code. It obvisouly does not even try to t()
strings, since a database is not yet in place. My quite is how to tackle
the issue of translating the installer to different languages.

  - do not care about this, the installer is just a short process,
    only database setup, and then the profile can easily handle
    importing the translation and then on use that translation for
    install wizards

  - load in the PO import code (locale.inc) and import a PO file for the
    installer if available into memory. the installer PO file should be
    small, so this should not be a resource problem.

  - come up with some custom process of providing translations for
    the installer, like a simple key->value pair text file.

Since PO parsing is already done, translators are already familiar with PO
editing and translation, the second option might be doable. We just need a
simplified t() implementation for the installer, which works from the
associative array loaded in by the PO import code.

It would be nice to provide a localized installer from the very start, and
with the solutions proposed it would only need another file (installer.po)
copied into the profiles folder before running the installer.

(This is a development issue, not a translation one, this is why I brought
it up here).

Gabor