[development] Have you ever laughed fate in the face?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Tue Jul 18 09:47:39 UTC 2006

Op dinsdag 18 juli 2006 11:00, schreef Gabor Hojtsy:
> Ber, exposing a deletion API, and letting *developers* change the
> behaviour is one thing. Providing two modules for the *users* to stare at
> is another... IMHO one of Neil's points was this.

Then he did not make himself clear in that: «Why do we need the ability to
enable or disable trashbins or confirm screens?»

I answerd that with: because we might want to, and because it is not going to
hurt anybody.

Further on he states: «Bad: Deletion with no confirmation, or a non-standard
confirmation, and no obvious way to restore deleted data.» This might be very
true, for quite some people. and as long as it is a guideline that is
perfect. But who the ** are we to decide that no-one is allowed to have this?
Especially since this is a concios decision, it bothers me.

Then he goes on with: «This should be tested to see if the 'good'
recommendation is really good in the real world:» which is very good: suveys,
investigation of our users etc. But htis should never turn into
inflexible "but a mayority wants it like this so you have to live with it"
hardwired deletion system.

And because this was a comment on the proposal to split it out into two
modules, using a hook, It is rather safe to assume he was commenting on that
proposal.

Having two modules is not 'staring at'. It offers not "config options" or
space-shuttle-worthy interfaces". Offering a choice by disabling a module
hurts no-one, confuses no-one but offers us full fredom to chose what is best
in our particular cases.

BTW: I am purposedly replying here and not in the issue, that is long enough
as it is.

I also started this discussion for a purpose, because Drupal has a rather
(IMO) bad habit of oversimplifying stuff, by hardcoding its decisions in core
(which is not the same as simplifying the interfaces).
Think about "if you want search, and users, you MUST have a user-search tab on
your search page". Or "If you want a contact form, you are forced to offer
contact-form for each user (this changed in HEAD!)". I am certain all of you
can find numerous examples where your site/client/users wanted Foo, but
drupal forced you to get Bar with it. or where did not want A but disabling
it, made itimpossible to do C and D from then on.

Bèr