[development] what's a "user"? (was re: Have you ever laughed fate in the face?)

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Jul 18 16:49:06 UTC 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 7:28 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> If I write "user" in a Drupal development context, I always mean
> the person that downloads drupal-4.7.x.tar.gz, installs it, and
> creates the site. The users of said site are that site's users not
> Drupal's.

not to pick a fight about terminology, but i think this is
misleading... ;)

we, the drupal developers, should be concerned about the usability of
drupal for both of these sets of "users".  i think it's more
consistent to call the end-users of drupal sites "users" and the
people who download and install drupal the "admins".  that's how it
breaks down for them, that's the basic terminology within drupal
itself, and i think that's how most of us already talk about things.
of course, there are different kinds of "admins" (i.e. someone who
knows nothing about php and installs drupal via a packaged installer
vs. a developer who sets up a site out of a cvs workspace), but i'm
less concerned about that distinction, and "developer" vs. "power
admin" vs. "novice admin", etc, would easily get the point across if
you needed to be specific.

the only reason i raise it is that i'd be wary of any mindset or
terminology choice that tends to push end-users-of-drupal-sites off
the radar of the development community, since we have to make drupal
"easier" for them, along with admins (and, as dries and others have
pointed out, us developers, too).

On Jul 18, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Hmm, it /might/ be I misread Greg's comment. :p

right, no harm done. ;)  i'm just pointing out why adopting
consistent terminology about something as important as this would
help avoid misreading each-others proposals... especially if a major
development focus for the foreseeable future will be "usability"...
"usability for whom?"  i'd argue all three groups (users, admins,
developers) could use some lovin', and obviously different patches
will effect the usability for different groups.  we'll all be happier
and get more done if everyone immediately understands which group(s)
a given patch or proposal targets (and not just for usability, for
that matter).

thanks,
-derek