[development] what's a "user"?

Chad Phillips -- Apartment Lines chad at apartmentlines.com
Wed Jul 19 02:14:53 UTC 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 6:17 PM, Ber wrote:

> Take views, or cck: They are very complex, but I can learn it once,
> and my
> clients never need to learn it. So why simplify views to make it
> more "usable"? All my client sees is a table with all his products
> in it. He
> never needs to know that I fought with views exports. That I digged
> for the
> proper CCK field setting.

i'm a bit confused why the discussion seems to be that we have to do
one or the other.  what i would _love_ to see from the standpoint of
configuration options is an approach where you keep things very
simple on the surface, making the decisions that would be best for
the 'typical' user, then if somebody reeeeeaaaallly wants to change
every little thing, they click an 'advanced settings' button or
something, and they can customize to their hearts delight.

of course, the ultimate in customization is to crack into the code,
but i think it would be nice if we had another layer or two in
between...  :)