[development] Deleted records [Have you ever laughed fate in the face?]

sime info at urbits.com
Fri Jul 21 02:40:10 UTC 2006

Larry Garfield wrote:

>Adding a "Deleted" column to node, comment, and various other tables means
>that every query against those tables would have to be modified to add "WHERE
>deleted=0".  Between core and contrib, that's thousands of queries that would
>need to be updated.

Exactly, no normal module should need to concern itself with something
that is "deleted". But my original suggestion was for the abstraction
layer to add the "deleted=0" condition by default. So what you are
suggesting shouldn't be a problem.

And to repeat. There could also be a way to call db_query() that allows
special code (eg. upgrade, trashbin, deep search) to over-ride the
default behaviour and include the deleted rows in the result set.

I can't see any downside except execution speed in the abstraction layer.