[development] File transfer patch by Arto Bendiken

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Jul 21 13:57:42 UTC 2006

Just wanted to post a pointer to a file transfer patch made by Arto
Bendiken (a name you might recognize from a large static page caching
module: http://bendiken.net/2006/05/28/static-page-caching-for-drupal
or the infamous Drupal vs. Mambo article: http://bendiken.net/
2006/02/08/drupal-vs-mambo).

See http://drupal.org/node/74472:

> This is a simple & short patch against HEAD that adds a new file
> download method, "Custom", to the admin/setting/file-systems
> screen. With "Custom" selected, the "file_transfer_handler"
> configuration variable is expected to contain the name of a
> function that will handle the actual file transfer, and
> file_transfer() (in includes/file.inc) is modified to delegate the
> transfer process to that function.

We were working together last week and my small contribution was to
lean over his shoulder and go "hey -- can't we abstract that?". This
should make it possible for implementing some alternate file transfer
methods -- like my current personal favourite, Amazon S3.

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595