[development] Have you ever laughed fate in the face?

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 14:58:44 UTC 2006

On 21 Jul 2006, at 19:57, James Walker wrote:
>> Why don't we add a status-field with two states -- STATUS_ACTIVE
>> and STATUS_DELETED -- to each of the database tables with records
>> that want to take advantage of the trashbin functionality?
>
> +1 for this.  I'd like to see some standardization of 'status'
> semantics throughout (anyone else get annoyed that '0' is published
> for contents and '1' is published for nodes and users?). I also
> like that this can be further extended to include additional STATUS
> values.
>
> Shouldn't it be STATUS_ACTIVE, STATUS_UNPUBLISHED and
> STATUS_DELETED though? Or am I misreading your intention?

Good question.  :)

The workflow module isn't 100% compatible with the current status
field in the node table (which makes for a confusing UI).  I'd like
to see the workflow people chime in so we can settle on a solution
that is forward-compatible with the workflow module.

Anyway, I think that STATUS_DELETED should be a workflow state like
any other, and that we should be able to trigger an action when
something is marked deleted.  From an implementation point of view,
it shouldn't be a special case.

All in all, I think it is a reasonably straightforward task.  :-)