[development] Object caching

Matt Westgate matt at lullabot.com
Sat Jul 22 19:35:07 UTC 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 4:52 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

>  The path aliasing in Drupal 4.7 is better than the one in Drupal
> 4.6, but that doesn't mean there is no room for further
> improvements. :)
>
> Personally, I find algorithmic improvements much more interesting
> than caching-based solutions.

Other CMS's have been improving their URL alias feature by storing
each alias with the data it represents. We could store node aliases
in the node table, user aliases in the user table and menu aliases in
the menu table.  This reduces the amount of queries we need to
generate and would avoid an alias-specific caching solution.

Of course there are other rogue aliases that couldn't be accounted
for with this approach, but I bet we'd reduce the number of alias
queries by 80%.

Matt Westgate
Lullabot