[development] Object caching

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 19:40:38 UTC 2006

On 22 Jul 2006, at 21:35, Matt Westgate wrote:
> Other CMS's have been improving their URL alias feature by storing
> each alias with the data it represents. We could store node aliases
> in the node table, user aliases in the user table and menu aliases
> in the menu table.  This reduces the amount of queries we need to
> generate and would avoid an alias-specific caching solution.
>
> Of course there are other rogue aliases that couldn't be accounted
> for with this approach, but I bet we'd reduce the number of alias
> queries by 80%.

That's easy to count.  Just add some counter logic to
drupal_lookup_path() and we'd be able to estimate the gain.  :)

Anyway, this brings us back to the de-normalization discussion we've
had lately.  We could potentially cache a lot of node related
properties in the node table (eg. the comment count, last comment
timestamp, username, etc).

We're running around in circles, me thinks.  Time to implement some
approaches and to compare their implementation and performance?