[development] the past, present and future of drupal admin

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Jul 26 20:18:33 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 26 juli 2006 18:01, schreef Kieran Lal:
> before we
> dive into small UI improvements.

From what I have seen in the past, and now again this is very unfair to say.
Kristjan has hardly ever proposed "small UI improvements". And no, he has not
got the resources like CS to put people on it to turn this into patches.

Personally I value Kristjan's input a lot higher then some
statistically-backed up survey, because Kristjan spends a lot of effort and
time to back his statments up with research, literature, screenshots and
mockups. We thank a lot of great usability improvement on his input. On the
same note, a lot of his input has died a silent death, because no 'coder' (I
prefer not to devide Drupalleers into coders and none-coders) took up his
ideas and made them work.

So, to conclude: CS's statistics show where we can improve the overall
experience (Drupal.org[1]). And Kristjan has made a great post, with mockups
and explanations how we can improve Your Drupal Site. Both are very important
parts, both need attention. Because eventrhough a lot of effort went into
improving Drupals admin, it did not become notably 'better' overall[2]. Some
parts improved, others de-proved.

Bèr

[1] Besides the "where can I find what" and "how do I use what" improvements,
we *also* need some better quality assurance. Drupal without contribs is not
much. But most contribs are "not much" either. Drupal relies on somtimes
absolutely crappy contribs, or stuff that is not even stable (I am pointing
at myself too!).
[2] http://webschuur.com/node/638 check the very well structured menu... ?

 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc