[development] the past, present and future of drupal admin

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 12:22:16 UTC 2006

> First of all, we ourselves don't have a clear definition of what a
> setting is within Drupal. I'll take a rough guess, and say that
> settings are 'global' values (such as the site's name), and that a
> setting should only ever have one 'instance', or one 'set of values'.
> This is in contrast to non-settings, which are 'per-instance' values,
> and that have multiple instances, or values, which are tied to data
> entities within Drupal (such as the name of a menu item). Of course,
> stating this definition is much easier than actually applying it to
> the real-world Drupal, where there are many grey areas as to what
> constitutes a 'global' or 'per-instance' value.

Clearly, people have different opinions, experiences and expectations.
 There is no ideal solution so let's agree to stop arguing about it.

The answers to all (y)our questions can be solved by a simple cardsort
experiment.  We have the categories (block titles), the top-level
links and their descriptions.  All we need to do is organize a
cardsort experiment, invite all our users to take part, and we're
done. :)

--
Dries Buytaert :: http://buytaert.net/