[development] Modules page rework

Gary Feldman dpal_gaf_devel at marsdome.com
Sun Jul 30 03:13:34 UTC 2006

Frando (Franz Heinzmann) wrote:
> Hmm, I won't hide them completely. They could be in a table that is
> collapsed by default, but I don't like hiding things that are there
> from people. They are modules, they have their .module file, so they
> should appear in the module listing. Becaue they're modules (and not
> .inc files or something).
> For example, it might be interesting to have them on the module table
> at least to have the links to administration and help, and the
> description.
Can you come up with a real use for them?  Having them there just
because they exist seems gratuitous.  It's not like they're really
hidden - anyone who cares can look at the directory or docs.  Given that
the primary user stories for this page are to enable or disable modules,
there would need to be a secondary story as to why a person might go to
the modules page to do something with these modules.  Neither
administration nor help seem compelling, as it's not clear why someone
would go to the module listing to get at those.  Also, the mapping isn't
one-to-one.  Watchdog gets configured with the other system settings but
also has its own page, while user has two separate settings pages.
Letting the module organization determine the UI is letting the tail wag
the dog.

Gary