[development] OpenID

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 14:07:09 UTC 2006

On 31 Jul 2006, at 15:19, Bill Fitzgerald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We just launched an open source project (http://openacademic.org)
> centered around the use of Drupal, Moodle, Elgg, and Mediawiki in
> education -- we are using OpenID for SSO, with Drupal as an OpenID
> client -- we will be working with the existing Drupal OpenID module
> to make some upgrades/improvements -- we'd love to work with folks
> to get this done.

For kicks (because I'm interested in the technology and because Scott
Kveton is a great guy), I reviewed the existing OpenID module
(written by a Janrain employee).  Frankly, the module needs to be
rewritten from scratch in the Drupal Way.  I'd advise against using
it as is, or building on top of it without refactoring the module first.

For us to receive the bounty, the module needs to go into Drupal
core, in which case we want to write an extremely lightweight module
of, say, 500 lines of code that acts as a replacement for the
drupal.module.  This means we have to remove the 90% of the existing
OpenID (eg. their PEAR mappings, their libraries and various other
glue), modify it to use our own database abstraction layer, etc.
(The current OpenID module is about as big as Drupal core.)