[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Thu Jun 1 06:52:57 UTC 2006

Larry Garfield wrote:
> Once again, I'm not saying the Drupal versioning system is bad, just not
> the normal treatment of X.Y.Z that people have been trained to expect.  I
> use KDE only as a high-profile example.  It's easier to change people's
> perceptions and expectations (see comment above) than to completely change
> our development model.  So let's make sure we do a good job of that. :-)

Larry, I would bet that if we would have named Drupal 4.7.0 as Drupal
5.0.0 instead, people would expect drastic user level changes (UI,
workflow, etc). The whole versioning discussion ended up because
supposed *users* are mislead by our versioning scheme. As long as there
are only internal changes and not much UI changes, I don't think a
*user* would see the big version increment fitting.

Gabor