[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 13:54:22 UTC 2006

On 01 Jun 2006, at 15:18, Khalid B wrote:
>> Depends on who you are comparing with.  The Linux kernel project, to
>> name one, is the biggest open source project in existence, and uses
>> our versioning scheme.
>
> But ... there is a big difference ...
>
> End users do not "use" the kernel directly. They use distributions.
> All
> the kernel does is support A and B hardware.

This discussion is pretty moot for reasons explained by others.

The Linux kernel is just one example -- and just like Drupal, they
haven't bumped their major version number in years.  Where are all
the confused Linux users?  (Yes, I periodically recompile my kernel
in order to keep up to date, the fix security issues, etc.)

MacOS X is another example: they had 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and
10.4.  It's used and understood by millions of people, and APIs break
from one 10.x release to another.

Firefox is another example.  The current release is 1.5.0 and the
modules and extensions are not compatible with those of Firefox
1.0.x.  According to your rules, they should have gone straight to
2.0.0.  Where are all the confused Firefox users?