[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jun 1 13:18:36 UTC 2006

> > I am not hungup on moving to A naming scheme because other projects
> > use it. Granted, a more widely used scheme has a better chance of
> > being understood vs a more obscure one.
>
> Depends on who you are comparing with.  The Linux kernel project, to
> name one, is the biggest open source project in existence, and uses
> our versioning scheme.

But ... there is a big difference ...

End users do not "use" the kernel directly. They use distributions. All
the kernel does is support A and B hardware.

Drupal on the other hand is usable as it is in the version.

If Drupal was just a code API, and given to others to make distros (like
CivicSpace, Sympal), then the Drupal version number would be irrelevant
to the  end users, since the audience for Drupal are developers only, and
we can be cryptic as much .

But, Drupal is also usable by end users directly, and hence the confusion.

> We're not going to change our version system.

I guess that is the tie breaker then. We are left with only improving
how we communicate it.