[development] Download statistics for core

andrew morton drewish at katherinehouse.com
Fri Jun 2 16:21:25 UTC 2006

On 6/2/06, blogdiva at culturekitchen.com <blogdiva at culturekitchen.com> wrote:
> On  02.Jun.2006, at 11:09, Adrian Rossouw wrote:
> >
> > also the fact that any serious developer should be using cvs to
> > access it.
>
> This comment of yours is a good example of what I mean when I say
> that developers in Drupal have to move away from the limelight.
>
> Drupal may have started as a project for "serious developers" only
> but at this point, with the explosion of the blogosphere, the project
> cannot really afford to be only for "serious developers".

I think you're putting words into Adrian's mouth. He's right, if
you're a "serious developer" you'll already be using CVS, if only
because it's the easiest way to keep up with the changes.

Now you're welcome to debate whether we should be encouraging users to
update via CVS. It is more complicated to setup the first time but
once that's done it's a whole lot faster than downloading and
unpacking and possibly over writing your local modifications. I've got
5 different Drupal installations and when the security alert went out,
I logged into each server ran "cvs up" getting them all updated in
less than 5 minutes.

andrew