[development] cron vs poormans cron [was download statistics for core]

Kobus Myburgh ITBJDM at puknet.puk.ac.za
Sat Jun 3 10:37:51 UTC 2006

> This makes me think that there are really two types of scheduled tasks

> in Drupal; those that need to happen even if the site is inactive
> (sending a mail queue), and those that only need to happen if people
are
> visiting the site. Poormans cron does a great job of the latter, but

> can't guarantee the former on a low-traffic site. An elaborate but

Not even I have such a low traffic site that poormanscron doesn't
work.

I currently have two sites sending out mailing lists with poormanscron,
and they are relatively small user bases (59 and 230 users respectively,
currently 61 and 1022 nodes respectively) and the recipients get the
mailinst lists just fine, albeit sometimes a few minutes later than
anticipated, but does that really matter?

Kobus