[development] User registration without email

Leo Burd leob at media.mit.edu
Tue Jun 6 13:06:54 UTC 2006

- In my case, it would also be good to not require users to provide an email
address.

I'm implementing a series of modules that allow users to access Drupal
functionality (events, audio entries, groups, etc.) by telephone and, since
I'm working mainly with people from underserved communities that are either
illiterate or do not have access to regular computers, I cannot expect my
users to have email accounts (in fact, one of my modules provides voicemail
accounts to make it easier for users to communicate among themselves).

Ideally, it would be great if users wouldn't be forced to provide an email
address.  Wouldn't it be ok to create a special config setting for this and
allow $user->email be set to NULL upon registration and updates?

Best,

Leo