[development] User registration without email

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 00:32:01 UTC 2006

There are a lot of Drupal modules that rely on the basic assumption
that all users have an email address. This is mainly an issue with
contrib modules, such as notify, civicrm, simplenews, massmailer, and
ecommerce. But even the core contact module makes this assumption.

Removing the requirement of all users having an email address from
Drupal core would be a big paradigm shift for Drupal, and is something
that should be seriously considered before being implemented as a
patch. Obviously, it's fine to use such a patch yourself, when you
know that your own site has no need for email addresses, and that
email is not available for most of your users. But for most Drupal
sites, this is not the case.

Cheers,
Jaza.