[development] User registration without email

Alan Dixon alan.g.dixon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:08:58 UTC 2006

I have a related registration experience:

There's the useability school of thought that wants users to minimize
the number of clicks to do what they want, so in areas of a drupal
site that require registration, I'm generating the registration form
directly, instead of providing the usual link to /admin/user/register.
In fact, I have to anyway, because these 'registration only' areas are
not all the same - they don't always want the same registration fields
to show up or be required.

So, when non-registered users visit these sections (they're og pages,
actually) I'm calling the user_register() function (from user.module),
and noticing that the extra fields being added are erratic. For
example, the profile module doesn't add it's fields (there's a test
for arg() values that fails), but the og module does. In this case, I
don't actually want the og checkboxes, so i'm doing the same trick as
derek below, and unsetting it in my theme_user_register override i.e..
unset($form['og_register']). This works well (since there are no fancy
validate/submit hooks for og), but putting the profile fields back in
is more complicated that I would have thought or expected (since they
do need validating, typically).

Any other experiences or hints on this out there?

And if you're still reading and know something about the user.module,
do look here as well at what I think is a potential bug in that
user_register function.

http://drupal.org/node/66945

 - Alan

--