[development] In 4.7 you can assign regions to any template (node, comment, etc.)

Nedjo Rogers nedjo at islandnet.com
Wed Jun 7 14:53:23 UTC 2006

I at least had overlooked the fact that in 4.7 we have the ability to assign
regions not just to the page but to any other PHPTempalte template, e.g.,
node.tpl.php. I've updated the handbook with instructions on how to do this,
http://drupal.org/node/29139.

This approach should allow much more flexibility in theme design and in
block coding for targetted areas, though some care will be needed to make it
work intiutively. Issues include:

* Users may be confused if they assign blocks to a region that only appears
on node pages
* Need to distinguish between full node listings and teasers.

See also this issue http://drupal.org/node/67681