[development] no .htaccess perms 500 kills drupal.

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Jun 8 10:12:08 UTC 2006

Hello,

Today I ran into another server that did not allow .htaccess. If it finds
one, it dies with a 500 (I beleive this is non standard, but it might be
used in more places, I saw it twice). A person asked for my help because
after the secuit upgrades his site died wih this 500.

Two things are important and should be dealt with:
 * We should not make .htaccess files from with Drupal, not on upgrades
and not after installation. Or at least not in this particular situation.
It locks people out, without a hint whats happening
 * The only real solution on such a server is to (move to another on, I
know) remove .htaccess, and have no rewrite rules. At least untill
recently. We now rely on this file, inside the files dir, for security,
meaning if you remove that file, you might be less secured. We must at
least document this.

Just a note.

Bèr