[development] Install profiles tutorial for Drupal 4.7, Friday 8AM PST

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Jun 9 18:54:19 UTC 2006

Op vrijdag 9 juni 2006 08:25, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> Thanks CivicSpace Labs. :)
>
> There is also an installer patch in the patch queue.  (I don't have
> the URL handy as I'm no the train.  Sorry.)  We need people to
> carefully review and refine that patch.  This is an important part of
> the next Drupal release, and it is our task to get it into Drupal
> core.  CivicSpace Labs did their part; it up to _all_ _of_ _us_ now
> to get it into core ...

I know I am not going to make myself popular. I know my proposal makes very
little chance, bu trying anyway:

  Lets leave installers and profiles OUT of core for at least another release.

Why:
  In contribs they can settle out. Become nice. Grow onto people.
  In contribs they can conpete. I still think that there are other ways that
make just as well a candidate for core. My own sympal scripts are just one of
the possibilities. we are now getting apt-get alike module installers in.
Fixtures are still in the make.

No! This is not a sneaky way to get my own installer and profile stuff higher
on the ladder.
This is just a way to sya: lets not stare blind on one solution. Lets leave
the communities dynamics to decide. After a half year in contribs we can tell
wich is best. We can include a MATURE system, one that has withstood several
rounds of revisions and improvements.

We all saw how well integrating an immature system such as forms api went.
With respect to all those behind it, Drupal was not ready for such an
immature system. Fact is that still; some rather critical elements are not
sorted out well (files uploads required stuff).

Views, CCK are all coming along in contribs just fine. I beleive views needs
just another few months and it might prove ready for core. It is by far one
of the most groundshaking improvements to Drupal, just not ready for core. If
ever.

Why stare blind on one install system that is not tested, not mature and has
not proved to be the Right Solution? Why depend only on those that can review
patches, when we have a huge reviewing organism called "contribs"? Only
because the Mob demands install systems? If they do so, lets give it, in
contribs. And let that Mob sort out what the best stuff is, what needs fixed
and what should be changed.

Bèr
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]

Drupal upgrade repareert kritiek beveiligingslek:
 http://help.sympal.nl/drupal_upgrade_repareert_kritiek_beveiligingslek