[development] Install profiles tutorial for Drupal 4.7, Friday 8AM PST

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 22:14:31 UTC 2006

> The install profile system is one of the key features for the next
> release of Drupal.   This has been stated publicly for months.
> Dries said it was the number one thing he wanted added to Drupal in
> the state of Drupal talk in Vancouver.

Yep, and it still is.  In my view, it is really important to get the
installer -- and the install profiles -- into Drupal core.  The
sooner, the better.

Ideally, Ber's command line tools would be able to re-use parts of
the installer (shared API).  If that's not possible with the proposed
install system, we should massage it until it is possible.  (We can
do this after the current system hit core.  Incremental improvements
are fine.)

The point?  We should be working on _one_ install system that can do
both, rather than having competing systems.  So, Ber, please provide
a detailed review in the patch queue, or provide actual patches that
improve the proposed install system.